[rescue] 100 Things To Do With That Old Sun

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 27 13:10:19 CST 2001

On November 27, Kris Kirby wrote:
> > hmmmm.  There IS a threshold I should observe - mystifying them, sure.
> > Freaking them out .. fun to comptemplae but probably not.  Livestock sounds
> > from the server space is just about right <grin>.
>
> Imagine, if you will, a cold, stark-white server room at night. There is a
> man working there, his compassion for his fellow man worn so thin it could
> be passed through a needle effortlessly. While he is sitting there at his
> workstation, peering into his Monitor of Doom, it starts slowly with one
> machine; a simple "mooo", as if there is a cow loose in the server room.
> Then, five seconds later (after the finish of the initial "moo"), it
> happens again. Then two machines "moo". And five. And so on until the
> whole cluster is mooing asynchrounusly. And then it stops.

  I've been driving up & down the east coast; I don't remember if I
mentioned this before.  Duh.

  Picture this:

     Tired Digex sysadmins at 3am, in 1995 or so.
     A few hundred SS2s in racks in the computer room.
     Running kernels built with /dev/audio support.
     Kerberized rsh.
     An .au file of "Darth Vader's Theme"...

  What a night!

     -Dave