Pumping Gas (was: St. Pete (was RE: [rescue] Sun Ray Thoughts?))

Mike Nicewonger rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Nov 24 21:58:54 CST 2001

> Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>

> > We do it both ways in the US.  It depends on the gas stations policy.  With
> > prepay, the pump usually shuts off when you've reached the amount that you
> > paid for.  So, if you want to fill the tank, you need to pay more than you
> > could possibly need, then run back in to get your change when you are done.
> >
> > Very stupid.  But more and more stations are switching to using this policy
> > after dark.

The simple truth is that gas stations are more and more concerned with profits
and could care less if you have to walk back in to get your change.

Truth is most stations with or part of a convenience store sell gas at a loss
to get you in the door to buy the overpriced and high profit stuff they sell.
Typically these will be 'company' and chain owned stations that can afford to
lose a few cents per gallon.

Exxon, Royal Farms and Wawa's are famous for this. (at least here in central
Maryland)

The other extreme is the gas stations either on the Interstates or right off
the exit ramps that charge insane gas prices cuz they know that most travelers
will pay the high prices rather than go hunting in unfamiliar areas to buy gas.

I have been around garages and gas stations for years. This is a common deal.

-Mike N