[rescue] Low-level format w/520 byte sectors?

David Passmore rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Nov 23 16:27:35 CST 2001

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 04:12:32PM -0500, George Adkins wrote:

> I found that if you fire up the clariion, and swap new disks into it one at a
> time (per channel), the machine will re-format them to the correct blocksize
> on it's own.  (the monitor utility will show the drive as being formatted)
>
> After this, the drives will work just fine (or at least they did for me...)

I take it you are talking about a Challenge RAID, not the non-OEM Clariion.
Hmm, there is currently a Seagate drive in there which was intended as a
replacement for a failed drive, and it shows up as 'unsupported'. When I
take it out and reinsert it, it powers up the drive (shows as 'POW') and
then it shows as unsupported again.

A friend at SGI claims that the 520-byte size is required from the factory,
and that it's possible that the drives require special firmware (and hence
only IBM DHCS drives would be supported).

David