[rescue] Low-level format w/520 byte sectors?

George Adkins rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Nov 23 15:12:32 CST 2001

On Friday 23 November 2001 03:50 pm, you wrote:
> So, I have here a Challenge RAID array (an SGI badged Clariion C2800) and
> unlike the normal Clariions which take your basic 512-byte-sector SCSI
> drives, this thing requires drives with 520 byte sectors.
>
> Does anyone know of a way to low-level format a drive for 520 byte sectors?
> I seem to remember DECstations being very flexible about what and how they
> could format, but I have very little knowledge of them.

Dave,

I found that if you fire up the clariion, and swap new disks into it one at a
time (per channel), the machine will re-format them to the correct blocksize
on it's own.  (the monitor utility will show the drive as being formatted)

After this, the drives will work just fine (or at least they did for me...)

George