[rescue] Looking for I/O performance metrics

Chris Byrne rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Nov 23 11:28:21 CST 2001

Patrick,

Everything you said makes perfect sense, I just wish it were true ;-)

Here's the situation

The problem is occurring under light load or more precisely no essentially
no load.
It's only occurring on the Sun systems attached to the SAN not the windows
systems.
They are using Veritas to manage UFS filesystems on virtual mount points
created out of a single large LUN being presented to them from the SAN.

Yes I know that these are screwy

I've already recommended that they restructure their filesystems and put
their data on Oracle raw but I need to give them hard numbers on the current
upgefucked setup.

The system is basically set up as if it was on a JBOD array and they were
trying to reduce spindle contention, but with a large scale storage array
the array itself handles the contention and resource management issues so
anything you do on the filesystem side will just make things worse.

Chris Byrne