[rescue] Looking for I/O performance metrics

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Nov 23 11:04:38 CST 2001

Chris Byrne wrote:

> All,
>
> I'm looking for some I/O measurement tools freely available for Solaris 2.6.
> I'm working on a SAN project at the moment and there's some weird stuff
> happening somewhere in the chain, and I need to isolate it. The sysadmin is
> saying that it's the SAN, the SAN people are blaming the Solaris config
> etc... etc... and I'm stuck in the middle.

There are some freeware tools like the bonnie disk benchmark, iozone,
etc.

I will take a guess that you are not seeing this problem when your SAN
is lightly loaded, but under certain conditions when there is a higher
load.

You might want to run bonnie or iozone in the background while doing
some things in the foreground, or even run them on a seperate machine,
simply for the purposes of increasing the load on the SAN.

Am I right in guessing that your are using Oracle's raw partition
(instead of file-based) code on top of the SAN?

Cordially

Patrick Giagnocavo
patrick at zill.net