[rescue] Bodoman is at it again...

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 22 21:19:01 CST 2001

> Super is a Greek root, meaning over, above. Which is what ueber means in
> German. I have seen it used in the US as a term that is supposed to be a
> notch higher than super. But most people write it w/o the 2 dots on top of
> the U, so uber in German means absolutelly nothing. For people who do not
> have a teutonic keyboard at hand, they should write it as "UEBER." The
>
> > Thanks for the details. I didn't know all that. I have heard uber before
> > as in "Deutchland uber alles", and German military ranks, etc. I guess I
> > really just objected to his invention/use of the term more than anything
> > else...

i think i might have some insight into your discomfort with the use of the word
ueber (ber, but i don't know if you'll be able to see that right)

there was a specific term.  the uebermann.  translated, the Over Man.  basically
Hitler considered himself and several of his high ranking guys as Over Men.
they were not required to follow any of the rules/laws that the rest of the
country were reguired to adhere to.  these were the elite, and therefor were
"above the law".

maybe?  i don't know, just a guess.

-brian