[rescue] Bodoman is at it again...

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 22 14:46:54 CST 2001

On Thu, 22 Nov 2001, Steve Sandau wrote:

German military ranks? The term "Deustchland ueber alles" was actually
banned after WWII from the German anthem. The British can still say
"Britannia ruler of the seas" :-), but that will change once the whole
island is bought by the Germans (J/K!)

Super is a Greek root, meaning over, above. Which is what ueber means in
German. I have seen it used in the US as a term that is supposed to be a
notch higher than super. But most people write it w/o the 2 dots on top of
the U, so uber in German means absolutelly nothing. For people who do not
have a teutonic keyboard at hand, they should write it as "UEBER." The
'ue' is the equivalent to the u w. 2 dots :-). I guess anglosaxon cultures
can not understand sometimes that just because they have a language w/o
any accent or dots on top of letters it is OK to not use them. Those sings
are there for some reason! Alles klar?

Cheers....