[rescue] 100 Things To Do With That Old Sun

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 21 21:41:02 CST 2001

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 10:29:07PM -0800, Mark Price wrote:

> Well guys, lately I've been wanting to play around with the few Suns I
> have.
> I thought I remembered there being a list --somewhere-- on the internet
> of
> interesting things to do with an old PC/sun/mac/etc.  I couldn't find
> any such
> list so I decided to start my own.  I'm having trouble coming up with
> ideas
> besides the basic network services.  Unfortunately I only have 1 public
> IP
> from my ISP (roadrunner), so I can't have more than one machine serving
> on
> the internet.  Most of these ideas I'm coming up with are for the
> sun4c/4m
> class, just because that is all I have.

Even with only one IP, you still can use more than one machine for serving.
The NAT will just have to sort out the incoming requests by port number.
For instances, requests for port 80 would go to a web server, port 6999 to an
IRC server, etc.

Further, with some cleaverness, one might even be able to set up multiple
physical web servers with only one IP.  I'm thinking along the lines of a
custom proxy that looks at the domain in the GET command, and passes it to
the proper machine based on that.  Also, load balancing and fall over would be
possibilities.

Of course, these suggestions are probably ridicoulous considering the small
amount of bandwidth on most DSL and cable connections.

--
Joshua D. Boyd