[rescue] o2's available for sale

George Adkins rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 21 15:44:31 CST 2001

> >>I'm somewhat dubious about the advantages of flashes on most digital
> >> cameras.
> >
> > Why?  Sure, they've got the same disadvantageous as on point-n-shoot
> > cameras

<snip>
> film camera, you still can use 800 ASA film to get decent results in most
> conditions, including stupid flash useage.
>
> On the other hand, from my Kodak, I don't think I have once gotten a nice
> picture when using the flash.

Maybe it's because you're trying to use [ grainy-assed, wash out all the
color and take away any contrast ] 800 ASA film.  Flash Photography renders
photos just fine when done in adequate light and at 1/60 shutter with decent
film, like ASA 64 or 100.

Flash Photography wasn't designed (contrary to most popular belief) to let
you take pictures in the dark, it was intended to allow you to take good
pictures with nice, slow, fine-grained film in ordinary lighting conditions
which would otherwise require too long of a shutter speed to get an adequate
exposure.

it's the (as usual) uneducated American Consumer who decided that the purpose
of flash photography was to allow them to take pictures in the dark without
turning the damn lights on.

it's that whole "I don't want to learn anything, I just want it to work when
I push the button" thing all over again.