[rescue] SBUS expansion box

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 21 14:41:00 CST 2001

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 03:19:37PM -0500, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> > But, I hear that linux offers decent support for SMP on Sparc, and was
> > considering getting a SS10 SMP box to use for a DMZ.
>
> stick with NetBSD, SMP is there, and will be far better than that which linux
> uses i'm sure. (especially if it's the same SMP as linux does with x86, the
> machines we had were faster single proc since linux spent so much time doing
> context switches with two CPUs)

I keep hearing that netbsd smp WILL be better than linux's SMP.  What  really
care about though is it now currently better?

> NetBSD will fit very easily onto a 200M disk.  i've done it multiple times.
> what sort of software are you trying to add that's taking up so much space?

What I'm trying to add is some simple things like ssh (server, clients already
installed), dhcpd, bootp, rp-pppoe, and some other things.

Now, a better question might be, what DID I install, and the answer is I have
no blinking idea.  I removed the X11 entry from my coll.lists file, then ran
sup -s, and it looked like it was doing something, so I went away for a while.
When I came back, it have filled my disk (400megs).  I know that it installed
a bunch of games.  I trashed those.  Trying to figure out what else is safe to
rm, since I really don't want much on this machine.

--
Joshua D. Boyd