[rescue] SBUS expansion box

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 21 14:19:37 CST 2001

> Probably 4 drives.  Take two mirrors and stripe them for something like 18gb.

it's got space for two drives and three SBus cards.

> I've seen some pretty high performance scsi linux systems, but they were all
> lintel systems.

blech. :)

> For this idea (still hankering for a new file server to replace the p75), I was
> thinking NetBSD.

good thinking.

> But, I hear that linux offers decent support for SMP on Sparc, and was
> considering getting a SS10 SMP box to use for a DMZ.

stick with NetBSD, SMP is there, and will be far better than that which linux
uses i'm sure. (especially if it's the same SMP as linux does with x86, the
machines we had were faster single proc since linux spent so much time doing
context switches with two CPUs)

> BTW, in case anyone ever thinks of trying out NetBSD on a low disk space
> machine (ie, sub gig machines), I'm sure it works, but I keep having trouble
> over filling the disk while I try to get software onto it.  Probably better to
> have a good size disk until you figure out what you are doing.

NetBSD will fit very easily onto a 200M disk.  i've done it multiple times.
what sort of software are you trying to add that's taking up so much space?

-brian