[rescue] SBUS expansion box

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 21 14:20:52 CST 2001

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 12:11:55PM -0800, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> How many drives are you looking at?  Don't even consider doing this with
> Linux on those machines, the SCSI support blows chunks.  I heard that it
> was supposed to use DMA in the 2.4.x kernel series, but I haven't
> checked yet.

Probably 4 drives.  Take two mirrors and stripe them for something like 18gb.

I've seen some pretty high performance scsi linux systems, but they were all
lintel systems.

For this idea (still hankering for a new file server to replace the p75), I was
thinking NetBSD.

But, I hear that linux offers decent support for SMP on Sparc, and was
considering getting a SS10 SMP box to use for a DMZ.

BTW, in case anyone ever thinks of trying out NetBSD on a low disk space
machine (ie, sub gig machines), I'm sure it works, but I keep having trouble
over filling the disk while I try to get software onto it.  Probably better to
have a good size disk until you figure out what you are doing.

--
Joshua D. Boyd