[rescue] Problems trying to resurrect a SparcStation IPC

Steve Sandau rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 20 06:24:28 CST 2001

Sounds like NVRAM battery is dead. This is from www.obsolyte.com, though
I'm sure there's information on the sunhelp site, too:

If you're getting messages about a bad IDPROM, or your ethernet address
is coming up
as ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff, and the machine is refusing to boot, then your
NVRAM is
probably dead. The item is a DIP style, socketed chip with battery
backed RAM holding
parameters about your machine (and a clock). When the battery dies, it's
time to
order a replacement, and then reprogram the NVRAM with a new hardware
ethernet
address and some other parameters. Please read the NVRAM FAQ to learn
how to
resurrect your machine from the dead.

I think I remember that it's possible to solder a new battery on top of
the NVRAM chip if you do it *very*carefully*.

I'm sure someone knows more about this than I do... Right? Seems to
always be true here... ;)

Steve Sandau
ssandau at bath.tmac.com