[rescue] Silly NetBSD question

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 19 17:48:09 CST 2001

[ On Monday, November 19, 2001 at 15:55:52 (-0600), Phil Brutsche wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Silly NetBSD question
>
> > Meaning that if I use it, instead of setenv TERM vt100, I should
> > perhaps use setenv TERM xterm.
>
> No, you should use "setenv TERM vt100"  There's no way for C-Kermit to
> send stuff like xterm resize notifications to the Sun.
>
> All you're ever gonna get out of it is 80x24 :)

No, he should use "setenv TERM rxvt" (or "xterm" if he uses an Xterm).
Especially when the target system is NetBSD.  In NetBSD's termacap a
"vt100" is quite a bit different than an "rxvt" (or an "xterm").  You
must always tell the target system what you really are using as a
termina (emulator)!

C-Kermit will work just fine in any sized window, as will 'cu' (or even
'tip').  No, it won't send resize notifications accross the serial line
(nothing really can, except by sending a command as if you'd typed it)
however so long as you manually tell the remote system what you've
resized your window to.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>