[rescue] Silly NetBSD question

Phil Brutsche rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 19 15:55:52 CST 2001

> So, someone suggested C-Kermit.

That was me.

> I gather that this just takes the serial input somehow and passes it
> to stdio and lets stdio figure out how to display it?

Basically.  Like Greg said, C-Kermit is a communications program and runs
on damn near everyting in existence.  It's schweet when you can transfer
files with nuttin' but a connection and kermit between two computers :)

When I first started getting into Suns 2 years ago and I tried to use
Minicom for the serial console... it would never work.  Damn enter key
wouldn't be sent to the IPX.

Ditto with HyperTerminal, Telix, etc.

C-Kermit works right the first time, every time, with everything I've
tested it with (sun & cisco, primarily).

> Meaning that if I use it, instead of setenv TERM vt100, I should
> perhaps use setenv TERM xterm.

No, you should use "setenv TERM vt100"  There's no way for C-Kermit to
send stuff like xterm resize notifications to the Sun.

All you're ever gonna get out of it is 80x24 :)

> But, I haven't figured out how to use C-Kermit in this capacity
> (admittedly, total time spent with kermit was about 10mins before
> deciding to hit the sack).

Well, my steps for getting into a Sun via the serial involve:

$ kermit
kermit> set port /dev/ttyS0
kermit> set speed 9600
kermit> set carrier-watch off