[rescue] Odd Sparc 5 problem

Ed rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Nov 18 09:55:38 CST 2001

Folks,

Got a weird one with an SS5-85, running Sol 2.6 in about 128MB of RAM.
We use this machine for backups(rsh, under BudTool).  Sometimes during
the backups, the le interface will become very slow and unresponsive,
i.e. ping times on the local subnet of 2000ms or greater.  Sun hasn't a
clue and I've patched everything I can think of.  Since ICMP is dog
slow, I'm guessing it's not anywhere in the TCP stack.  No panics, no
errors, no messages.  Log in as root and run snoop -- *bam* nice and
speedy on the interface again.  It's only got the built in le and that's
that.  Anyone ever seen this before?  I don't have a good explanation of
what happens when an interface goes promiscuous(better get my internals
book out), but anyone have insight?

ed