[rescue] free in Boston: IBM POWERstation 530

Matthew Fredette rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Nov 18 09:05:16 CST 2001

Available for free in the Boston area: one IBM POWERstation 530.  This
is an RS/6000 MicroChannel machine with:

- 512MB RAM
- three SCSI adapters
- one 3Com Ethernet card, 10base2 and AUI connectors
- one framebuffer (VGA? XGA? dunno)
- internal CDROM

Here's a picture of a similar one, it's 24" x 14" x 26" HxWxD:

http://www.daneel.demon.co.uk/images/power01.jpg

Also comes with:

- IBM-branded Exabyte 8mm SCSI external tape drive
- IBM 3151 serial terminal
- SCSI and serial cables to put things together

I'm pretty sure it works, although I have no AIX drives or other media.
I couldn't figure out how to get a serial console working, but with
the key in the Service position, it does what I expect: after the LED
display runs through some test numbers, it tries to boot off the
floppy.

So, available for pickup in Somerville, MA.  Please, the whole system
only.  I could also deliver within some radius of Boston.  Thanks -

Matt

--
Matt Fredette
http://mit.edu/fredette/www