[rescue] OT: Q on Cygwin XFree 4.0.1 on PC - anyone used this ?

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Nov 16 20:24:54 CST 2001

Thanks for the reply...

I had a few problems, first the install of Cygwin di
dnot include the needed bunzip2 executable, os I had
to find that - no biggie, but it took time...

Then I started up the XFree 4.0.1 X Server, and it
couldn't find a particular .dll file - it turnsout
this is a known problem because Cygwin and Xfree need
an upgrade to ncurses (or some such) for the xterm
application - I couldn't make sense of their
instructions to re-install the cygwin package twice,
but then i didn't spend too much time on it... Maybe
I'll try again and see what I come up with.

If it works, that owuld be great (X Windows on my
802.11b-enabled laptop)!

Thanks fo rthe encouragement,

Ken

--- William Enestvedt <Will.Enestvedt at jwu.edu> wrote:
> I gotta say that I never had this problem, and I set
> it up on a Win98
> desktop and a Win98SE laptop (Toshiba Sateelite
> 1800-S253) within the last
> month.
>    Did you follow the instructions on the web page
> at:
>        http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/
>    That's what I did each time, and it worked out of
> the "box."
> -wde
> P.S. Using the new CF card that I got from you
> yesterday. Thanks!!
> --
> Will Enestvedt
> UNIX System Administrator
> Johnson & Wales University -- Providence, RI

=====
Ken
n2vip at yahoo.com