[rescue] Nice older equipment I got... a little input

Andrew Weiss rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Nov 16 08:48:59 CST 2001

I finally got a spare moment to test out some of the older equipment I
snagged from the Cornell loading docks.  It appears that it works ok, but
I'd like to know where to go from here.

First machine:

IBM RS/6000 7006 graphics workstation.  I hooked a PS/2 IBM clicky KB to
it with no mouse and a 13W3 P70 monitor to the frame buffer.  I took some
8MB sticks out of a Model 250 and added them 4 in all to the existing set
of 4 16MB sticks.  Machine cycles through a lot of LED numbers and finally
settles on something like 587 or so... there seems to be plenty of drive
activity so I think it's booted but I get no display... the unit does wake
the monitor from suspend during boot and set a video mode by the clicks I
hear.  If I set the key to service I get a boot all the way through
diagnostics to a green underscore prompt on the frame buffer... I can type
things in at that stage but I don't know where to go there either.  I'm
going to print the manuals but I think this unit is ok... in service the
led's display 888.  Does anyone have the best copy of AIX for this
machine?... I'm assuming 4.3.3 even though I heard 5.01 is compatible.  If
anyone has any spare RS/6000 MCA keyboards and mice, (just to be
pedantically authentic)... let me know.

Machine 2... the troublemaker Sparc LX:

I took 4 16MB sticks and 2 8 MB sticks from another Model 250 and replaced
the 24MB that was in this unit... this is probably my mistake (is there
some rule about interleaving?)

Anyway boot screen thus: (and no it doesn't always appear)
<3D Logo> Sparcstation LX, Keyboard Present
ROM Rev 2.10, 96 MB memory installed, Serial #3187982
Ethernet address 8:0:20:1b:55:4d

Testing Memory
Watchdog Reset
Data Access Exception
Type help for more information
OK Memory Address not Aligned
OK Memory Address not Aligned
OK Memory Address not Aligned
OK Watchdog Reset
OK Data Access Exception
OK CP Disabled
OK Data Access Exception
OK Illegal InsData Access Exception
OK Memory Address not Aligned
OK Illegal InsData Access Exception

(various combos of the above plus one or two other things... but nothing
can be typed at this point.)

Regards,
Andrew