[rescue] Further 2500 problems (or, I'm am incompetent and shouldn't be allowed near fun toys).

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 15 14:32:06 CST 2001

Sigh.  I've resumed trying to get management access to my 3com LanPlex
2500.  It basically works, but it appears the previous owner set it to
filter out packages that are important to NFS.  While I'm at it, I also
want to reset the IP so that I can telnet into the switch rather than
using serial, but that isn't as important.

OK.  So, I hooked a null modem cable between the terminal port on the 3com
(9pin DB9, mentioned since I later refer to pin numbers) and the serial
port on a linux box.  I set the terminal software (minicom,
someone want to suggest better?) to 9600 8N1, with no software and no
hardware flow control.  Except for the flow controll, this is the same
configuration I use to boot my Suns.

Now nothing happens in the terminal display when I turn the 3com on.
The part of the status bar that indicates online/offline stays stuck on
offline.

One thing I'm wondering is if I'm using the correct cable.  The manual
says that the terminal port has Rx on pin 2, and Tx on pin 3.  Is this
what I want when using a null modem cable?  I ask because the Rx and Tx
pin numbers are the same for the modem port (the modem port also has DCD,
DTR, RTS, and CTS pins).  I don't have any 9pin to 9pin straight cables
handy, though I may be able to make one from my db9-rj45 adaptors and an
ethernet cable.

Any suggestions?  I'd like to be able to remove the hub in the office
(used to connect the file server to the NFS client, with an uplink going
to the switch so that NFS will work without the switch interfereing) and
clean up some of the cabling.

--
Joshua D. Boyd