[rescue] Cdrom and floppy specs

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 15 11:54:51 CST 2001

Forget the floppy drive - it is *useless*! (IMHO!)

As for the CD-ROM drive, it must support 512 Byte
sector size, not the more typical 2048 Byte sector
size - Plextors are known good, many others are
available. Plextor 6x drives should be plentiful and
affordable.

A standard CD-ROM drive wont fit (I suspect) in your
SS/4, but the Ultra 1 should be a perfect fit!

HTH,

Ken

--- "Michael A. Turner" <mturner at whro.org> wrote:

> 	After a recent trip to get a bunch of stuff I now
> have in my
> possesion an Ultra 1 and a sparc 4 that both have
> the same "problem" .
> Neither one of them has a cd-rom or a floppy drive.
> Now I could net boot and
> all that other nifty geeky stuff, but I want to put
> these parts in in order
> to make it easier to use for stupid stuff.
> 	Now the questions. Whta kind of floppies do these
> beasties take? are
> they standered PC type floppy drives? can I just
> strip a PC system and throw
> those floppies into these systems? I also have a
> dead IPC that I can strip a
> drive out of, is this the same type of drive?
> 	CD-rom, obviously scsi of course. What are the
> limitations on what
> kind I can use? Anything to look out for, any
> particular gotchas? I got some
> scsi 4 speeds laying around should I just stick
> those in and will they fit
> (stadered 5 1/4 form factor).
>
> Michael A. Turner
> Systems Engineer