[rescue] motorcycling (was: Re: St. Pete)

Kurt Huhn rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 13 21:49:08 CST 2001

> I'd heard a lot of great things about Aerostitch, but two of my friends
> bought suits and have had a considerable number of complaints.  I'm still
> witholding judgement at the moment.

Leather.  Air and water don't go through cow skin.  I have a set of
oversized leather that I wear with layers underneath.  An electric vest and
socks can do wonders - and heated handgrips are okay if you also have
windshields in front of them (ala BMW's dual sport).  In winter, a
windshield is an absolute must for any trip longer longer than a short
jaunt.

> "Fun" is a turbo Hayabusa.  I had enough fun from one ride to know that I
> will never again crave unlimited acceleration.  You'd need balls of
> titanium (no offense to the XX chromosone holders on the list) to want
> more.  Roller coasters mean nothing after pulling over 1G to 150mph.

Cycle World tested a stock Hyabusa at 195MPH top speed.  That is obscene.  A
turbo, well, a turbo borders on pornography.  Don't get me wrong - it sounds
great.  However, I recent test ride of a Suzuki Intruder Volusia revealed
more than enough power (and a nice, wide, comfy seat).  I rarely go above 85
on a motorcycle, and the Volusia is more than capable of reaching those
speeds.  It is, in fact, going to be my next bike purchase.

> I'm guessing about 175mph once I improve the aerodynamics (and believe it
> or not, 175 feels a _lot_ slower than 215).  This will be a track bike.
> IMHO driving a liter bike on the street is like using a 'mog to haul
> groceries, it'll do the job but that doesn't mean it's the best tool.

The fastest I've been on a bike was an indicated 145.  I had the shizen
scared out of me when I hit a pavement seam on the highway and the bike went
airborne.  Wobble, wobble - and I nearly bailed.  The only reason I didn't
was because it wasn't my bike.  That was the last time I rode a
sportbike....

Kurt
Cruisers are more comfy, and tend to keep me within legal limits.