Antipodean Life (was Re: St. Pete (was RE: [rescue] Sun Ray

Drew Whittle rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 13 19:11:16 CST 2001

On Wed, 2001-11-14 at 13:57, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> > ObTopic: My newest (and now best) sun machine is a lowly (to you guys)
> > SS5-110 (when it arrives)
>
> Not "lowly" by my standards; hottest Sun in this house is an LX.  The
> streets paved with gold are in someone else's neighborhood.

I took the ram out of my Mongoose's (geese's?)* wacked it in my LX, put
Linux on it, took it to work and gave access to our LUG members as a
community box. (oh and threw a couple of external drives on it) A little
slow but at least it can do everything they need, unlike the
AlphaServer. :<

Speaking of AlphaServers, I don't suppose anyone out there has spare
CPU/Memory Cards for an old AlphaServer 2000 4/200 that they would be
willing to sell? (I can get the model numbers if need be)

* Because they are OSless (Sparc based machine, around SS5 level, but
not a "clone", they ran SunOS but it was a patched version). Only useful
thing left in them atm is the Ross Tech MBus cards, aparently there were
only around 200 of these things ever built.

:D