[rescue] Hrm, next SGI to be PPC/G5 based?

Mike Meredith rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 13 17:14:56 CST 2001

On Tuesday 13 November 2001 22:38, you wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Bill Bradford wrote:
> > http://www.macosrumors.com
> >
> > Dunno how credible this is, but its the second reference I've seen
> > to SGI ditching MIPS and moving to PPC....
>
> I would say this is nonsense, I was at MIPS a few days back and they
> were activelly developing 1GHz+ parts of the next R16K architecture.

The roadmap for MIPS cpu's went quite a ways in the future at the time
SGI announced their liking for the IA64. They can't kill off the MIPS
architecture too quickly or they'd stop selling O3000's.

> Plus SGI already has Itanium systems out, why would they bother with

None of the big stuff is Itanium based yet; as I've said in another
email, it's distantly possible they've discovered something about the
Itanium that's made them think about other possibilities.