[rescue] Hrm, next SGI to be PPC/G5 based?

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 13 16:38:34 CST 2001

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Bill Bradford wrote:

> http://www.macosrumors.com
>
> Dunno how credible this is, but its the second reference I've seen
> to SGI ditching MIPS and moving to PPC....

I would say this is nonsense, I was at MIPS a few days back and they were
activelly developing 1GHz+ parts of the next R16K architecture. Plus SGI
already has Itanium systems out, why would they bother with PPC? And what
OS would those machines run? Irix..... don't think so. They have their
resources spread thin as it is.