[rescue] What is this xyplex?

John Duksta rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 13 16:34:40 CST 2001

At 05:17 PM 11/13/2001 -0500, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1296851123
>
>What is this?  The description says it hase 4 serial ports, but the pictures
>show centronics connecters.  Does it really have more serial ports, but
>expects medusa style cables, or are the parallel or scsi ports, or something
>else altogether.  What is this beast?

The 4500's and 5000's were the first line of Xyplex's chassis
based gear. I didn't work with any of that gear when I was there
but I know a bit about it. From the description it looks like
it has at least 32 ports of terminal server lines. As you guessed,
those telco/centronics connectors get medusa cables that hang
off of them for the connections. One of those might also be
a hub card that would also break out with a medusa cable.

This beast is so old that itouch/nbase/xyplex doesn't even
keep the docs on the website anymore (I just went to look).

I wouldn't recommend getting one of these without docs, unless
you've worked with one in the past.

-john