[rescue] SCRAPPLE

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 13 16:15:01 CST 2001

On November 13, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> If you can live without the AC for that time period, then a generator should
> be a reasonably cheap option.  Proper big ones tend to be expensive new.
> However, old ones (like homemade monsters, or military surplus) seem to be

  This is a very good idea.

> reasonable.  Ebay seems to have a fair number of listings.  Err, I don't know
> what sizes one might need.  For instance, is 5kW, 110v anywhere near large
> enough for a Cray and AC?  What about 60kW ($5k for

  Nope...I've got 10kW of UPS capacity, which runs about 2/3 load.

> http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1659412160).
>
> Err, I don't know anything about how well different UPSs might deal with the
> potentially poor quality of a diesel generator.
>
> Someday (like when I get my own place, a few years in the future) I intend to
> get a good generator.

  GE has a neat thing that Mike N turned me on to, if memory serves.
It's a natural-gas-driven fuel cell backup generator intended for home
use.  It seems rather neat.  It pleases me to see fuel cell technology
being pushed into the consumer market.

     -Dave

--
Dave McGuire