Potted Meat Product.... (WAS) [rescue] SCRAPPLE

Fogg, James rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 13 15:15:53 CST 2001

> On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 08:15:58AM -0800, Fogg, James wrote:
> > btw, when I lived in dutchieland, scrapple was only sold in
> blocks hacked
> > off of the big chunk-o-scrapple in the refrigerator case
> and then covered in
> > saran wrap.
>
> We have for the most part modernized since then around here.
>
> --
> Joshua D. Boyd

Yeah, in the supermarkets you can find shrink-wrapped scrapple, but in the
farmers markets, like Gratz (loved Gratz), and the smaller in-town
stores/butchers, it's still hacked & wrapped. I've only been outta the
region for a year. Also, as I recall, you are more of a Lancaster Co
resident. Yes, things are more modern in your area. In Schuylkill Co, things
haven't changed much since the 1930's. They never got much past the
depression era there.

Another Dutchy food habit that I came to love was vinegar on french fries.
We used to go to Gratz and get fresh hot fries from a stand there and they
had vinegar bottles with sprinkle holes in the cap. Now we buy salt &
vinegar potato chips for that kind of taste. There is a seafood restaraunt
here in NH that has vinegar on the tables for fish, we use it for the french
fries.