[rescue] SCRAPPLE

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 13 08:22:42 CST 2001

George Adkins wrote:

> For as long as I can remember, My Mom used S.O.S pads (steel wool with soap)
> to clean her cast Iron, and I still use them for mine.  Nothing ever sticks,
> nothing ever tastes funny.  Although you _do_ have to wipe them dry to keep
> them from turning a bit rusty when they dry.
>
> I have heard both ways, and I think either one works.

I clean mine with hot water and a paper towel, followed by a spray-down
with olive oil and another paper towelling to prevent rust. Ours are all
dedicated to specific foods, though. I only make eggs in the egg pan,
only meat in the meat pan, etc...

If your mom used SOS pads, she never really maintained a proper
seasoning on her pans. It's a shame, cuz she was missing out on many of
the benefits that way.

---sambo