[rescue] SCRAPPLE

Kurt Huhn rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 12 22:30:12 CST 2001

> > 7. easy cleanup (scrub with kosher salt and a paper towel and rinse,
never
> > use soap or scrubbing sponges)
>
> For as long as I can remember, My Mom used S.O.S pads (steel wool with
soap)
> to clean her cast Iron, and I still use them for mine.  Nothing ever
sticks,
> nothing ever tastes funny.  Although you _do_ have to wipe them dry to
keep
> them from turning a bit rusty when they dry.
>
> I have heard both ways, and I think either one works.

I've heard that steel wool can damage a cast iron pan - however, I've never
experimented with one to find out.  It's commonly accepted that scrubbing
with soap is okay, as long as you season the pan again afterwards.  Whatever
works...

I never use soap though - a quick rinse under hot water does the trick.
Wipe it dry, drop some oil on it, and it's ready for the next use.

Kurt