[rescue] OT: RS/6000s

Paul Sladen rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 12 22:14:45 CST 2001

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Steve Sandau wrote:

> I have no root password. Hmmm. I took the drive out and tried to mount
> it in a Solaris box and a Linux box (remove the root password). Neither
> supports the AIX filesystem. Suggestions?

Place disk in Linux Box;

  % dd bs=1k count=1024k if=/dev/sdb of=first-10-meg.dump
  % emacs ./first-10-meg.dump
    M-x binary-overwrite-mode
    C-s root:
    [overwrite with know hash]
    [and make sure you get all on the occurances; old copies of /etc/passwd]
    C-x C-s
    C-x C-c
  % dd bs=1k count=1024k if=first-10-meg.dump of=/dev/sdb

Did I saw `ugly'.  I did say `tried, proved, and tested' though.
YMMV, have fun, and don't sue me!

	-Paul