[rescue] SCRAPPLE

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 12 16:41:46 CST 2001

On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 05:28:29PM -0500, George Adkins wrote:

> > all surfaces.  When I need to scrape a pan while cooking, I use a plastic
> > spatula, and when I need to scrape while cleaning I use a plastic ice
> > scraper (great for removing burnt stuff from pans).
> >
> > Basically, anything scratches, and scratches are bad in cookware.

> Aww, Hell no!
> You gotta be kidding me.
> I use a sharp (as in you can slice meat and vegetables with it) spatula both
> on my stove griddle-top, and on all kinds of cast Iron Frypans and the like
> that I have, and they work _Just_Fine_.  If it's properly seasoned, (the
> frypan) scratches and dings don't matter.  It would take a hammer and cold
> chisel to damage the cooking surface on _Real_ cookware...

Err, so are you saying that the All-Clad stuff isn't real cookware (could
be.  What do I know?)?

Scratches and dings don't matter is the view I take with the woks.
However, I have yet to be convinced that this is a good view to take with
cast iron, or stainless steal cookware.  Scratchs and dings make things
really hard to totally clean (or so I'm led to believe), and this is a bad
thing if you don't want any taste residue being left behind.

But then, the fine art of dealing with expensive cookware doesn't seem to
be an adequately covered on the web, and most people I know are hard
pressed to consider the Olive Garden cheap, let alone expensive cooking
toys reasonable (meaning they don't own such things for the most part).

--
Joshua D. Boyd