[rescue] When it comes to cache - I want as much as possible!

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Nov 11 13:24:00 CST 2001

Geaorge,

Granted this is a totally different arena (x86, not
SPARC arch.), but I had occasion to try and re-purpose
an old P90 box as a thin client running Linux on
Friday. As I was trying to get through some hairy
video problems, I disabled the 256K cache.

It made a profound difference, *easily* 15-20%
performance hit, just doing the install...

While I agree that 256K on a SPARC or UltraSPARC is
*almost* nothing, it makes a *huge* difference over
*nothing*...

Ken

--- George Adkins <george at webbastard.org> wrote:
> SMP stuff has been chopped, and the caches tend to
> be smaller, (when they
> have caches... I don't consider 128K or 256K to be
> worth counting as a 'L2
> cache', those are the size of L1 caches.  Putting
> them in between the L1
> cache and the main system RAM does not make them a
> _real_ L2 cache, it just
> makes them a buffer.

=====
Ken