[rescue] Xyplexing

Eugene Kushnirskiy rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 8 10:14:03 CST 2001

Mark,

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the images. I have loaded the 6.0.1s49_lat5.2 and it
works like a charm.

Now I am trying to connect some devices to Xyplex ports, but not having any
luck. For example, I have connected a Cisco router to port for. I have used
a black Cisco console cable. I have tested the cable and verified that it
works. I also know the console port on the Cisco router works because I can
connect it to a PC and it works fine. I have configured Xyplex to listen on
port 2004 for port #4. I have also configured the port as follows:

Xyplex>> show port 4 characteristics

Port 4:  '                 00 ??? 0000  00:43:05

Character Size:            8           Input Speed:        9600
Flow Control:            CTS           Output Speed:       9600
Parity:                 None           Modem Control:  Disabled

Access:               Remote           Local Switch:       None
Backwards Switch:       None           Name:             PORT_4
Break:                 Local           Session Limit:         4
Forwards Switch:        None           Type:               Soft
CCL Modem Speaker: Inaudible           CCL Name:           None
Dialout Action:       Logout

Preferred Service: None

Authorized Groups: 0
(Current)  Groups: 0

Enabled Characteristics:
Autoprompt,  Broadcast,  Input Flow Control,  Internet Connections,
Line Editor,  Loss Notification,  Message Codes,  OutboundSecurity,
Output Flow Control,  ULI,  Verification
Xyplex>>

When I telnet to the port, the connection gets established. When I press
"ENTER" once, I get a "#" prompt. I can not type anything (at least I do not
see any text". When I press "ENTER" again, I get another "#" character on a
new line. Finally, when I press "ENTER" again, I get a blank line and
another "#" character. At that point, the connection hangs (i.e. pressing
any keys does not do anything).

What do you think is the problem? I thought it could be because of flow
control and/or baud rate. I have tried all 3 types of flow control (RTS, DSR
and XON) to no avail. I have also tried switching the AutoBaud on.

Regards,

Eugene Kushnirskiy