[rescue] Damn that is one big ass box

Chris Byrne rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 8 06:12:32 CST 2001

All,

I'm in the middle of an MSP project here at work, and we have Sun and
IBM submitting competitive bids for systems and software. Obviously I'm
very comfortable with Sun, and I made it clear to IBM that they were
going to have to do something special to win the business. I asked them
for an eval box to test AIX and DB/2 on (their proposed solution) and I
was expecting a B50 or something similar.

Their eval box arrived this morning. On a pallet. That weighed 300lbs.

Instead of the B50 I was expecting they sent me an RS/6000 F80 6x500
Rs64III, 16gb of ram,  200 some odd gigs of storage, and a 3153
terminal. At least that's what the packing slip said, I haven't powered
it up yet.=20

I think they took me seriously when I said they'd have to do something
special.

Now what do I do with the damned thing? It's got about 12 times the
power I was expecting, and threes no way I could stress it at all with
the load I'm planning on. Hmmm, any distributed computing clients for
AIX 4.3? Anyone want a shell account to play with the thing?

Chris Byrne