[rescue] tape drive with no SCSI

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 8 01:33:38 CST 2001

On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 01:08:54AM -0600, Phil Brutsche wrote:
> On Thu, 2001-11-08 at 00:38, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > I just realized that one of the drives is hdc, and the other hdd.
> Oops.  Better hope both drives are ATA33 :)

I'm pretty sure they are, but I think I'd better wait on the tuning till I
get the drives rearranged.  If all drives on the the chain need to be
ATA33, then what about CDRoms?  One of the hard drives is going to have to
share a chain with a CDRom.

> > Sigh.  I'd consider moving the machine to all scsi, but I haven't been
> > imressed with the performance of my sisters nearly all SCSI (one
> > IDE CDRom) system.
>
> I've noticed that SCSI drastically increases the cost of the system
> without necessarily increasing performance.  It all depends on your
> workload.
>
> If you were running a high-volume mail server you'd probably notice.

I'm told that SCSI is better for using a large number of drives.

--
Joshua D. Boyd