[rescue] tape drive with no SCSI

Phil Brutsche rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 8 01:08:54 CST 2001

On Thu, 2001-11-08 at 00:38, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > 	hdparm -d1 -X66 <device>
> >
> > where <device> is your hard drive.
>
> I might try that.  The man page says it's dangerous though.

If you use the wrong value for -X it can cause data corruption.

> I just realized that one of the drives is hdc, and the other hdd.

Oops.  Better hope both drives are ATA33 :)

> That makes me think that I did something stupid and put both drives on
> the same chain.  What was I thinking?  I'll have to fix that next time
> I open the case.
>
> > If you're using a 2.4.x kernel (or a 2.2 kernel with Andre Hedrick's IDE
> > patches) that won't be necessary.
>
> I'm using 2.4.13.  It is a lot faster than 2.4.5 was when I run the memory
> low.  I think the new VM is a major improvement.

You bet it is.  Currently on 2.4.14 here.

> Sigh.  I'd consider moving the machine to all scsi, but I haven't been
> imressed with the performance of my sisters nearly all SCSI (one
> IDE CDRom) system.

I've noticed that SCSI drastically increases the cost of the system
without necessarily increasing performance.  It all depends on your
workload.

If you were running a high-volume mail server you'd probably notice.

> > Just about the only OS/hardware combo that doesn't have that issue is
> > MacOS :(
>
> Anyone care to comment on OSX at this moment?

OSX won't be any different than Classic MacOS.  No drivers are needed -
the bus mastering details are taken care of at boot time by the FCode in
ROM on the IDE card.

--

Phil