[rescue] cool surplus web junk ?

Eric Johnson rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 7 09:50:22 CST 2001

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001 john.mackay at iai.com wrote:

> A friend of mine out in Omaha has found a company that has a contract w/
> the air force.  Any old machine the airforce deems too old this company
> comes and collects it.  Only problem is you actually have to be present
> when they are unloading the trucks.  He has gotten all sorts of cool Sun
> equipment (duplicates sometimes find their way to me).

That sounds like the army surplus place in Council Bluffs (across the
river from Omaha). It's run by this old guy named Billy who just blindly
assigns prices to things. (One day a working SCSI enclosure can be 50
cents, but the next time an 8-bit ISA NIC can be 3 dollars). Almost
everything is kept outside, rain or shine and things don't stick around
long before they're torn up and sent to the grinders.

It's an interesting place that feeds a lot of the swap-meet sellers around
here (not that the swap meets are anything to write home about).