[rescue] Xyplexing

Eugene Kushnirskiy rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 6 20:17:42 CST 2001

I have a Xyplex MaxServer 1600 (model number MX-1600-0003), which I have
been trying to get to work for the past month. At first, I did not have the
software to load on it. Then, I downloaded the software from a site
recommended by a subscriber of this list, just to find out that a particular
image (xpcsrv20.sys) requires at least 4MB of RAM. Unfortunately, my box
only had 3MB. One of the subscribers of this list was kind enough to send me
several 1MB SIMMs, so the total installed memory is 5MB at this time. Sure
enough, the server still fails to boot. Since the server did not come with
the card, I was forced to use TFTP download. I have configured the server
with all corresponding information (it's own IP, TFTP server IP, image name,
load method, etc). Here is what is displayed when a server is trying to
boot:

Terminal Server, Type 74, Rev D.00.00
Ethernet address 08-00-87-01-6B-83, IP address 160.79.134.136, port 1
from server 160.79.134.130, via gateway 160.79.134.129, message 0
Memory Card; Not installed.

The following is displayed in the TFTP server log:

Tue Nov 06 21:11:15 2001: Sending 'xpcsrv20.sys' file to 160.79.134.136 in
binary mode
##########<SNIP>#################
Tue Nov 06 21:11:23 2001: Successful.

So it looks like the image is in fact downloaded by the box.

After displaying these messages, the box just sits there, doing nothing (and
not even responding to ICMP ping).  I can tell that the server is doing a
self-test by the way the port indicators go on and off sequentially.
Finally, when all activity stops, if I press ENTER severs 2 times (trying to
get a command prompt), the server displays the following:

Terminal Server, Type 74, Rev D.00.00
Ethernet address 08-00-87-01-6B-83, port 1
Requesting network dump service

Crash Code = 002C0002

..and then reboots.

Does anyone know what is wrong? My next logical step would be to contact
Xyplex, but I doubt they will provide free support for a device that was
manufactured in 1993.

Regards,

Eugene Kushnirskiy