[rescue] Cheap PCI Fibre Channel?

Derrick Daugherty rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 5 19:12:14 CST 2001

It's rumored that around Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 01:12:12PM -0800
David Passmore <dpassmor at sneakers.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 03:34:47PM -0500, nick at snowman.net wrote:
> > Wait, you can use them as GIG-E addaptors?  HOW!?!?!?  They use the same
> > signaling, but wouldn't that require a funky as hell card?
>
> Most fibre channel cards support IP riding on top of the protocol, which is
> gigabit speed, but this only works when you have a fibre channel switch or
> hub. It may work with direct-connect between two hosts but I've never tried
> it. It is certainly not Ethernet and you cannot plug it into a GigE switch
> and expect it to function as a GigE card.

heh, sorry to be misleading.  Notice how I said it was 'basicaly' a gigE
card.  make ptp really easy or hub/switch config.

note, when you're using ip over an FC switch it's not switched IP.

I think I have a couple emulex cards here...I'll compare the boards when
it shows up and let ya know what the design's like.

^D