[rescue] OK, step one of the purge in New Jersey...

Derrick Daugherty rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 5 19:07:35 CST 2001

It's rumored that around Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 06:54:43PM -0500
Joshua D Boyd <jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu> wrote:

> I keep dreaming about adding digital inputs and maybe surround sound
> decoding to my entertainment center amp.  I have a fairly nice 1970s
> quadraphonic amp.  It sounds nice, and to my untrained eye, it appears to

If you have separates as it is now just keep it that way.  Buy a decoder
that sits upstream of your amp.  Add additional amps for the center and
surrounds if you need them.  You can buy these pretty cheap nowadays and
they'll just have pre-amp outs that you pop into your nice old beastie.
Separates are pretty much the way to go.  Amps can be expensive, so
you're one-up already.  btw, if you're going to do surrounds then you
_have_ to have a center channel or it sounds like complete shit.  The
center chan is the most important.  And all speakers should be exactly
the same.  If not the same chasis atleast the same drivers inside.

I'm subscribed to about 5 home theater rags and 2 or 3 audiophile..they
always bring this up.

^D