[rescue] OK, step one of the purge in New Jersey...

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 5 17:54:43 CST 2001

On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 06:45:01PM -0500, Linc Fessenden wrote:
> Careful Josh, I am on my second Apex 500w.  Good player for the most part
> but there seems to be a cruddy PS in them which boogers us the player.  I
> have seen several other people comment similarly on this model as well.

Well, when I was looking, the next cheapest model was $30.  If this Apex
lasts through the warranty, I want to look into getting the dual boot hack
installed, and maybe it would be reasonable to do some PS upgrades at the
same time.

PS, see http://www.apex500w.com/PSU_repair.htm

I keep dreaming about adding digital inputs and maybe surround sound
decoding to my entertainment center amp.  I have a fairly nice 1970s
quadraphonic amp.  It sounds nice, and to my untrained eye, it appears to
be well designed (It doesn't look like any nasty short cuts were
taken.  It even splits the different parts to seperate boards, so the FM
and AM receivers are different boards from the AMPs).  I really wish that
my parents hadn't given away my osciliscope when we moved last year.  It
would be really helpfull in confirming my thoughts about the devices
esign. A new display would also be reasonable.  An embeded computer would
have a lot of potential, but noise would be a problem.

--
Joshua D. Boyd