[rescue] OK, step one of the purge in New Jersey...

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Nov 4 20:51:53 CST 2001

On Sun, Nov 04, 2001 at 04:20:14PM -0500, Steve Sandau wrote:
> Only things I have an MS box for: Maine Public Radio only 'netcasts to
> Windoze Media Player, and I only have a Windoze driver for my incredibly
> cheap serial-connection digital camera. Aside from that, I need no MS
> sh**. I write CD's, listen to mp3's watch avi's and mpeg's, read my mail
> (including .doc and .xls files), edit photos, and so on *all* on mostly
> Linux. Most of those things I also do on FeeeBSD and Solaris, and some
> on HP-UX and SCO.

Isn't there some media player program that supports streaming WMP?  I
remeber it being in reference to WMP streamed video, but it might support
audio only streams also, since it just was using avifile or something
similar to thunk to WMP dlls.

My big pain in doing without windows (sorta) is the latest Quicktime 4
(and 5) files and divx files and other WMP files.  I haven't seen anything
for the QT files, and the software for divx and WMP is spotty at
best.  For instance, AVIFILE based plugins/programs only seem to work half
the time, and OpenDivx always seems to have timing and audio
problems.  But that was 6 months ago.  Maybe it is time to try things
again.

PS, on a related note, where do I find the information on making dselect
relize that I have GTK installed when I installed it from source (and not
the source .deb file since it wasn't updated recently enough at the time)
since I both needed a newer version, and some custom compile options.

> In short, the only reasons I use MS stuff is because someone else
> *makes* me. I hate that. ;)

I rather doubt that they MAKE you.  I'm guessing that they just offer you
money or services in exchange for using MS Ware.

--
Joshua D. Boyd