[rescue] SGI stuff

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Nov 2 16:07:32 CST 2001

> >Nice boxes like Crimson RealityEngines, VGXs, VGXTs (20 crimsons total),
> >and a historic 4D/70GT (the machine used for the abyss according to alias
> >wavefront).
>
> Ohh... I would *LOVE* to have a box like that.  That movie is one of
> my favorites.  Is this in a terminator rack or a twin tower?

It is a twin tower and it is SLOW! It has a 12 or 16Mhz R2000 processor n
it. And the graphics are also sloooooooow, by any standard. But it is a
cool machine. I think it is ESDI based not SCSI, it was one of the most
popular graphics machine in the late 80s. There are a ton of papers in
SIGGRAPH that were published that had their implementations run on the
PROFESSIONAL series. These were the first graphics machines that had some
real processing power, before them most graphic computers used a mini or
super for the processing power. So the SGI solution was significantly
cheaper....

The 4D/50/60/70/80/G/GT are the PROFESSIONAL serias and they all run R2000
processors. They crawl under Irix 5.x, but they are decent under 3.x and
4.x they are also limited to 32MB I think. The are all also big brown twin
towers, about 200+lbs a piece. But then they are REAL computers :-) damn
it! SGI always build their computers like tanks... they should have an
iron foundry nearby or something....

They are cool if you are interested in acient machines.

Then again I am an SGI freak myself.