[rescue] Raid controller CRD-5500

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 1 11:54:22 CST 2001

[ On Thursday, November 1, 2001 at 21:16:40 (+1100), Robert Rose wrote: ]
> Subject: [rescue] Raid controller CRD-5500
>
> I've recently picked up (thanks ebay) a cheap-ish CRD-5500 RAID controller,
> I've used one of these before in a pre-built RAID box,

Mmmm...  yes, very nice.  I've got two such complete units (OpenStorage)
in production on my main development server (though not with a lot of
disk or RAM right now).

> but I need some
> basic clue to get this thing going.  Needless to say, I have no manuals and
> Google hasn't been helpful in providing sufficient clue so far.

It all depend on what's inside of it....  :-)  {esp. which modular scsi
channels are installed]

I have a 4-page brochure and a tech manual in PDF, but you can probably
find that online yourself.  Just look around for "5500" PDFs with
google.  :-)  (If you don't find anything useful let me know off-list
and I can give you an FTP location for my copies.)  Not that much of the
information about the 5400 is similar -- it's a smaller and less
expandable unit but with the same "Viper" controller.

The reason you don't find a lot of info online is because CMD have sold
the 5500 only as an OEM component and they have supposedly included
enough vendor hooks in it to make customisation possible and so they
don't want the general public to be able to bypass their OEM customers.

I've got a URL somewhere for new firmware that I can dig up for you once
you get it ready to do something useful too.

BTW, I could use one more single-ended narrow SCSI channel card, some
16MB, 32MB, or 64MB 72-pin 60ns 36-bit SIMMs (Kingston KMC5000's or
similar), and a 5.25" hot-swap bay for the Trimm REnnXXXXX series
chassis used by OpenStorage.  If anyone has any of these to spare let me
know off-list how much you'd want for them.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>