Data General Aviion (was Re: [SunRescue] OBP coolness)

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu May 31 20:43:39 CDT 2001

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 07:55:28PM -0500, William Barnett-Lewis wrote:
> After the god awful Interactive Unix on Essix Hardware (anyone else
> share that nightmare?) I'd been supporting for my National Guard unit,
> that Data General box was heaven. I may like Sun better these days, but
> DG was always pretty underrated in my experiance. They make some nice
> NUMA Intel based boxes too.

I'd say the "worst" *nix I ever played with was Domain/OS on a
Apollo DN4000 (before they were bought by HP).  I picked up FOUR
of these beasts, with 21" mono monitors (which were BEAUTIFUL) along
with 2 full doc sets and 3 full media sets (and even older media on
8" floppies) from an engineering firm here in town in '97 - funny thing
is, I ended up working for that company about a year later, and stayed
there for a year and a half.  The staff *laughed* at me when they found
out I was the poor schmuck who hauled them off. 8-)

Maybe not "worst", but "weirdest".

bill

--
Bill Bradford