[SunRescue] Rescued a Model 712/60

Paul Sladen rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu May 31 06:09:50 CDT 2001

On Wed, 30 May 2001, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> > I'd recommend nextstep...  that's what my 712/80 is running, and I've been
> > happiest there out of HPUX, NeXTstep, and linux...  (though, admittedly,
> > I haven't tried linux on it for about a year, and it was not ready for
> > prime time when I was playing with/developing on it).  NeXTstep is
> > extremely pretty if you are lucky enough to have gotten a 712 with the
> > 24bit "artist" graphics (what mine has).
>
> how is nextstep headless? i've used HP-UX and i'll pretty much do anything i
> can to avoid it.  the last think i need is ANOTHER monitor on my desk.

a little utility called `x2x' is the key here -- *two* X screens, on two
sperate machine *but* -- *one* keyboard, and *one* mouse... move the mouse
off to the left, and hey; it pops up on the other screen.

IIRC, it also has a relative called `x2vnc' which can do the same with a
windows box if you are unfortunate enough....

Paul
--
h: 0115 922 7162   w: 0115 953 1803