[SunRescue] Rescued a Model 712/60

Sam Creasey rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu May 31 00:44:11 CDT 2001

On Wed, 30 May 2001, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> > I'd recommend nextstep...  that's what my 712/80 is running, and I've been
> > happiest there out of HPUX, NeXTstep, and linux...  (though, admittedly,
> > I haven't tried linux on it for about a year, and it was not ready for
> > prime time when I was playing with/developing on it).  NeXTstep is
> > extremely pretty if you are lucky enough to have gotten a 712 with the
> > 24bit "artist" graphics (what mine has).
>
> how is nextstep headless? i've used HP-UX and i'll pretty much do anything i
> can to avoid it.  the last think i need is ANOTHER monitor on my desk.

heh.  missed the headless bit.  yeah, that's a problem..  acutally, I did
attempt a nextstep install on the 712/80 from a serial console.  (but with
the graphice board, and monitor/kbd plugged in).  It gets *reeeal* angry
shortly after booting the install image (though it will pretend to go
along with it for a bit.)

If you need it to be headless, you're kind fucked. :)   Either HPUX, or
the long descent into (what used to be, anyway) linux/parisc hell.

Which I kinda want you to do, just to find out if has become usable
without having to do it myself. :)

> > They'd be a nice little RISC workstation if you could get a good OS onto
> > one.  (like a linux port that didn't suck).
>
> i'm holding off until NetBSD supports it, or maybe i'll take some initiative
> and try to get NetBSD on it myself, although i thinks the SGI MIPS boxen i
> have will get worked on before the HP.

I've made rather derisive comments about parisc hacking earlier.  might as
well not drag them back out. :)

-- Sam

Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as
kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to
repetitive music.
        -- Unknown