[SunRescue] type 6 keyboard

Sam Creasey rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu May 31 00:56:08 CDT 2001

On Wed, 30 May 2001, James Lockwood wrote:

> On Wed, 30 May 2001, Kevin Loch wrote:
>
> > I just had an Ultra 10 dropped on my desk at work.  It has
> > a type 6 keyboard, with the "US" or "PC" layout.
>
> The "US" layout is orthogonal to the "Unix" vs "PC" layout.  It's possible
> to get a US/Unix or a US/PC.
>
> Yes, they still make the Unix layout.  I don't really like the type-6
> keyboard, though.  Wish there was a USB Northgate OmniKey out there.

There are USB hubs which accept PS/2 keyboard and mouse for this problem.
I managed to make my SGI Visual Workstation 540 usable (in my book) by
attaching a genuine IBM ps/2 keyboard to it through an, uhm...

D-LINK DSB-H4SMK

The downside to this particular thingy is that the keyboard and mouse
ports don't speak HIDBP (the "boot protocol" version of keyboard and
mouse), and, thus, are unusable in the SGI prom.  (plugging a usb mouse
into the hub solves this enough to click the "boot" button.)

It's an ugly and expensive fix, but it's a fix. :)

-- Sam

Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as
kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to
repetitive music.
        -- Unknown